THE CLASSIC COCKTAIL PARTY
1. Josh Goot 'Wrap Halter Dress' RRP $995 | RENT $169
2. Nicholas 'Bandage Fold Shoulder Dress' RRP $499 | RENT $139
3. Olga Berg Clutches available to hire from $30
THE BLACK TIE GALA
Immediately you think of an evening gown when you scan over the 'Black Tie' dress code on an invitation. However, slightly shorter hem lines have also become warmly welcomed at these events. The best way to judge what to wear is to go off what you expect the host of the event to wear.
This will give you a good indication as to the formality of the evening. And, if in doubt you can't go wrong with a floor length black gown and beautiful jewellery.
1. White Suede 'Contour Dress' RRP $679 | RENT $159
2. Aurelio Costarella 'Dauphine Dress' RRP $815 | RENT $169
3. Aurelio Costarella 'Black Plunge Gown' RRP $705 | RENT $169
The dress code that often elicits the cry, "What does that even mean?"...Smart casual can be the trickiest of the dress codes as it's very much open to interpretation. Anything from a smart shift dress to a pencil skirt and top are suitable outfits for a smart casual affair. It is the toned back version of a cocktail party dress code, think a fun little day dress or bright coloured skirt and top. Heels or wedges will put you in good stead for this dress code.
1. Nicholas 'Paint Floral Apron Dress' RRP $595 | RENT $139
2. Pasduchas 'Synthesize Midi Dress' RRP $219 | RENT $89
3. White Suede 'Deep Diver Top & Timeless Skirt' RRP $638 | RENT $159
This dress code will differ slightly depending on the time of the event. If the event is during the day, such as an outdoor wedding or Christmas Luncheon wear warm and bright colours. Both fitted and loose styles will work for this dress code, but always choose a hemline that sits below the knee.
For an evening event opt for a similar style in darker colours such as Black or Navy. A statement necklace and clutch bag will add an edge of sophistication.
1. White Suede 'Ethereal Dress' RRP $369 | RENT $99
2. Josh Goot 'Georgette Dress' RRP $995 | RENT $199
3. Nicholas 'Navy Braided Lace Dress' RRP $595 | RENT $139
A GARDEN PARTY
With outdoor weddings, Hens High Teas and events such as 'So Frenchy, So Chic' becoming a regular feature in our social calendar, The 'Garden Party' dress code is an important one to have decoded. This dress code calls for romantic, feminine styles in both bright colours and pastel hues. If colour isn't your thing a crisp white dress will also do the trick. Style it with a Panama Straw Hat and bright clutch for the ultimate summer party outfit.
1. Pasduchas 'Nostalgia Apron Midi' RRP $219 | RENT $89
2. Aurelio Costarella 'Arabesque Dress' RRP $595 | RENT $129
3. White Suede 'Overlay Dress' RRP $559 | RENT $129
4. Olga Berg Clutches available to hire from $30
THE WORK PARTY
Then, just when you think you have dress codes all figured out, there's the 'Work Christmas Party'... The function that doesn't really come with a dress code, but perhaps the most pressure to dress appropriately. Your Work Christmas bash is a time to dress up, let your hair down and celebrate another successful year, and in most cases a cocktail dress is the most suited to this occasion. However, if in doubt keep these guidelines in mind..
- Be modest. No one wants to go home with the prize for the shortest skirt. Or most plunging neckline for that matter.
- Wear comfortable shoes. (And we don't mean sneakers!). Pull out that trusty pair of heels you know you can dance in.
- Be festive. Don't be afraid to wear colour.
- Let the location and time of day guide you. A restaurant or bar calls for a party dress, but a maxi dress may be better suited to a day time function.
- When in doubt, you can't go wrong with a LBD.
1. Josh Goot 'Split Wrap Dress' RRP $795 | RENT $149
2. Olga Berg 'Rose Gold Clutch' RRP $169 | RENT $50
3. Aurelio Costarella 'Infinity Dress' RRP $595 | RENT $129
4. Aurelio Costarella 'Waterfall Dress' RRP $770 | RENT $169